• Mon. Feb 26th, 2024

Police, Army Trade Blames Over Abduction, Murder Of A Police Officer In Lagos By Soldiers

ByHybrid News

Aug 12, 2022

The State Police Command and the Authority in charge of the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army are currently exchanging blame over what caused the unfortunate incident that claimed the life of one policeman and left another seriously injured. As a result, it’s possible that the alleged kidnapping of two police inspectors by some soldiers in Lagos has not been heard from again.

Two police inspectors were allegedly kidnapped while on patrol along the Mile 2-Badagry road by some soldiers. They were taken to the barracks, where one inspector, Monday Orukpe, was killed by other officers and two AK-47 weapons and three magazines were taken.

In the aftermath of the tragic death, the Army Authority dispatched a delegation of senior army commanders, led by Brigadier General KN Nwoko, to pay the State Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alabi, a sympathy visit.

After the former General Officer Commanding (GOC), 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Umar Musa, defended the soldiers’ actions by alleging that a “police officer shot at the soldier during an altercation which occurred between them,” the conflict between the police and the army escalated.

The bullet fired by the policeman, according to Major General Musa, allegedly clipped a soldier’s ear but just missed his critical organs.

As soon as the remark was made, the state police command’s in-charge said Even though the Command is in a somber frame of mind and has chosen to behave politely, it is important to combat falsehoods.

The fact remains that on Wednesday, August 3, 2022, in the Trade Fair area of Lagos State, about 30 Nigerian Army privates attacked five police officers for stopping cars in their lane to make room for a heavy duty truck to enter the expressway, according to a statement signed by Benjamin Hundeyin, the command’s public relations officer.

According to Hundeyin, after the troops had brutally attacked the ASP in charge of the team, stolen his magazine, and kidnapped two Inspectors with their guns, they retreated after the next Inspector they tried to attack fired a single shot into the air.

He said that no one was ever hit and that the single shot was fired into the air.

The Army officials are challenged by the Lagos State Police Command to present the soldier who was allegedly shot.

He urged Nigerians to ignore the claim that a soldier had been shot since there was “absolutely no truth” to it, adding that they were mourning their dead hero and praying for the full recovery of the second kidnapped Inspector.

According to Hundeyin, the Lagos State Police Command is eagerly anticipating the findings of the panel of investigation appointed by the Nigerian Army to look into the incident’s immediate and broader causes.

The Nigerian Army promised to return the two AK47 rifles and three magazines that were taken by the soldiers, according to Brigadier-General KN Nwoko, who made the pledge while paying a condolence visit to the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Abiodun Ablabi, fdc.

The Command is also looking forward to finding the soldiers responsible for the torture and murder of Inspector Monday Orukpe.

Leave a Reply